Sunday, September 30, 2012

how to draw a person. kindergarten style.

As cute as they are, we don't need amoeba people in kindergarten. You know the ones: circle faces with legs shooting out of the chin and arms sticking out where the ears should be. They're typically blue, purple, green or any other color that skin isn't.

I always start teaching how to draw a person with choosing the appropriate colors. Crayola has multicultural crayons that are fabulous for drawing people. There was some {unnecessary} talk of political correctness when they hit the market, but a product that allows every child the option to represent themselves accurately is nothing but greatness in my eyes.
As I was teaching it this year, I started singing a little song.  I made it up as I went so don't be too critical.  Although, I have to admit, I quite like it.  :)


Yes, your kids will laugh hysterically the first few days you sing this but after a few practices they'll learn to control themselves and use it as a way to check their work. I randomly hear my class singing it now throughout the day and it makes me chuckle, but we don't have naked people hanging in the hall! ;)

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! Sooo cute and funny! My students will love it! Thanks Soooo much for sharing!

    Karyn
    Kideducator@comcast.net
    Aisforapplebisforblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute song! Some of my kiddos could use this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the song-- it made ME giggle! :)
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's perfect. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I have been having that same problem. This sounds like a cute way to try and fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is super cute...thanks for sharing your freebie.

    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay that made me crack up out loud! I actually did a post on that this summer and had a freebie on how to draw people in K but my used shapes and I didn't have a cute song to use! Those alien people drive me crazy! Thanks for the freebie! I have a new song to teach tomorrow! :)
    Sarah
    Kindergarten Korner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Completely hysterical! L O V E !!!!! Must start singing this tomorrow….Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya Tomorrow. You're always a day a way! (sorry…couldn't help myself) ;)

    -krissy
    Ms. Hutten’s Buttons

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips