Sunday, September 30, 2012

how to draw a person. kindergarten style.

As cute as they are, we don't need amoeba people in kindergarten. You know the ones: circle faces with legs shooting out of the chin and arms sticking out where the ears should be. They're typically blue, purple, green or any other color that skin isn't.

I always start teaching how to draw a person with choosing the appropriate colors. Crayola has multicultural crayons that are fabulous for drawing people. There was some {unnecessary} talk of political correctness when they hit the market, but a product that allows every child the option to represent themselves accurately is nothing but greatness in my eyes.
As I was teaching it this year, I started singing a little song.  I made it up as I went so don't be too critical.  Although, I have to admit, I quite like it.  :)

Yes, your kids will laugh hysterically the first few days you sing this but after a few practices they'll learn to control themselves and use it as a way to check their work. I randomly hear my class singing it now throughout the day and it makes me chuckle, but we don't have naked people hanging in the hall! ;)


  1. I LOVE IT! Sooo cute and funny! My students will love it! Thanks Soooo much for sharing!


  2. Cute song! Some of my kiddos could use this. Thanks for sharing.

  3. Love the song-- it made ME giggle! :)
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

  4. It's perfect. :) Thanks for sharing!

  5. So cute! I have been having that same problem. This sounds like a cute way to try and fix it!

  6. I love it! Thanks! :)

  7. That is super cute...thanks for sharing your freebie.

    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

  8. Okay that made me crack up out loud! I actually did a post on that this summer and had a freebie on how to draw people in K but my used shapes and I didn't have a cute song to use! Those alien people drive me crazy! Thanks for the freebie! I have a new song to teach tomorrow! :)
    Kindergarten Korner

  9. Completely hysterical! L O V E !!!!! Must start singing this tomorrow….Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya Tomorrow. You're always a day a way! (sorry…couldn't help myself) ;)

    Ms. Hutten’s Buttons


Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips