Saturday, September 29, 2012

sorting letters.

Just a quick one today friends.  We've been out serving our community this morning {and hanging out with Emily from The Biggest Loser...holla!} and I am zonked.
I did just create this for an alphabet or word work center this week, though, and figured you might like to have it.  :)

I'm always looking for activities or lessons that will help with alphabetic principle.  I feel like there's not much variety with letter ID because they just have to learn the formations but I did hear about letter sorting and thought it'd be great in a center.  I couldn't find a printable mat so I made one.  It is SIMPLE but it'll work!  There's a generic one and one specific to capital or lowercase letters if that's how you roll.

Your kids can use magnet or letter cards just to practice sorting or you can give them an additional mat to use as a recording sheet if you want the data for your records.  You could also print out a page of letters and have them glue the letters down as they sort.  Oh so many possibilities.  ;)

Have a great weekend!  Feel free to share your best letter recognition strategies in a comment!

5 comments:

  1. I love Emily! She looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing that freebie!

    Pixy Stix and Teacher Tricks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is gorgeous. And SO sweet. Totally down to earth. Exactly as she seemed on the show!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the freebie. my favorite activity for letter recognition activity is anything focusing on student names. My students can tell you whose name a letter is more quickly than the letter name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of letter sorting because then the kids aren't just mindlessly copying their letters, they are actually thinking about their formation. I teach 2nd grade and this would be so helpful for them because they have formed bad handwriting habits that I'd like to break before they go on to third grade. Thanks for sharing. I started a weekly link up and I think this post would be perfect for it. I would love it if you stopped by my blog to link up! :-)

    Jennifer
    Darling Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! I'll over it! ;)

      Delete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips