Saturday, September 22, 2012

fall fun {and cookies!}

Heather at TeachingMy3 is hosting a fall blog hop and you know I could not pass that up!  Here are a few of my favorite fall things to do in the classroom...plus a yummy bonus at the end!
Teaching My 3

{fall journal books}
I love these little babies.  Obviously, because I make them into apples, pumpkins and leaves!  You can use them in a writing center, word work center, during writing instruction or recording observations during science.  Sometimes I make them with plain paper and other times I use the printables.  Just depends on how I'm feelin!
If you use them in an independent center, students can use them as vocab books, writing & illustrating vocabulary terms.  {our leaf books usually have fall words...squirrel, acorn, leaves, scarecrow, crops, etc that they copy from our chart}  If you use them during science, they can hold predictions & observations {how much the pumpkin weighs, if it floats, how many seeds there are, etc}


{johnny appleseed}
Can you tell this is a pot?!  lol  This was one of those spur of the moment ideas but I have to tell you, I think they're adorable!  :)
I was looking for a pattern to make pot hats for the kids but decided to just make my own & use it as a writing display instead.  No pattern to share...because it is easy.  Cut rounded corners on a gray piece of construction paper & cut strips of brown paper.  Ta-da.  The apple I used gave my early writers a little trouble so I'll use this one next time...bigger lines!  ;)
We used Teri's Johnny Appleseed bubble map after reading about him to figure out what to write.

{leaf painting}
I just saw this on Pinterest this morning and had to add it to my Fall board!!  How beautiful are Kelly's shaving cream painted leaves?!  Attempting it this week...probably not in nice clothes.  ;)
And now the bonus...making my favorite fall yummy ever.  They are delicious and I end up making batches and batches each fall because everyone loves them.  Here's the recipe.  You're welcome.  ;)

{oatmeal pumpkin chocolate chip cookies}

Link up with Heather for lots more fall fun ideas!  :)

6 comments:

  1. When I first looked at your Johnny Appleseed pot, I thought it was a cleaver!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining the Fall Blog Hop. I am going to have to try that cookie recipe. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe looks very tempting....may have to try that. I also think the fall leaves look amazing....gonna have to hop on over to Pinterest to check that out. Thanks for sharing!
    Donna
    working5to9math.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am dying to make your recipes since cookies are my favorite thing to eat ever! They sound awesome! Okay, so how do I print it? Your slightly older friend :) is having a hard time reading it. Is there a link I am not clicking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured it out Kristin and I printed the picture, yay:-) I will let you know how they turn out. My kids are very excited to make them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many cute ideas!! Happy to be a new follower :) Stop by sometime!

    Kimberly
    The Learning Tree

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips