Saturday, September 08, 2012

temporary name tags.

Our school provides photo ID nametags for the kids but we're on our own for the first couple of months.  How many of these temporary nametags have you tried?

stickers - peel off
die cuts - disintegrate
cutesy store bought nameplates - rip
paint chips - too small
buttons - ridiculous trying to pin 85 times a day...

A couple years ago I was passed a tip at a summer institute.  And today I am sharing it with you!

{solo cups.}

Yes.  The plastic, college accessory.  Added bonus, they now come in a variety of sizes and colors!!  :)

Put them face down on a cookie sheet in the oven. 300-350. It's not an exact science.
They only take a few minutes to melt down so stay by the oven and watch closely.
{ew.  PLEASE excuse my grody oven.}
When they're almost flat, smoosh 'em down good with the bottom of a frying pan.  :)  Repeat as needed.
Take them out and immediately pop with a hole punch.  When they're cool, add student names, lunch numbers and whatever else you need!  Thread with yarn and ta-da!!  Simple, durable nametags.

17 comments:

  1. Cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I bet you can use them year after year!

    Vanessa
    Kindergarten Schmindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. i saw this a few years ago on little giraffes...she turend her red ones into apples..i did yellow one year and made two big eyes and then their name as the mouth! they really do hold up well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought to turn them into something cute!!! Great idea! :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea! Do the melting cups make your house smell? hehe :) Thanks!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. They don't smell at ALL. Probably because it happens so quickly. Just make sure you stay by the oven or I can't be responsible for smells. ;)

      Delete
  5. Great idea. Going to use this for my helper/weather person etc badges, after one of them managed to chew through laminate I think I need something even more durable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that Sunday nights make me anxious as well. I saw your post on Facebook and would love your calendar set. Thanks!

    jjensen@north-cedar.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw you on FB with your Sunday night sadness!:(
    Sunday nights come way too early!!! I agree, my hubs has no idea, he thinks it's all about football!

    Iteachkidsabc@gmail.com

    :o) V.
    Special Teacher for Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, that college SOLO drinking cup has so many different uses! From beer pong, to the family BBQ, now to kiddo nametags! I need to get stock in the good ole solo cup!! Does this REALLY Work?... Unreal, talk about thinking outside the box.

    :o) V.
    Special Teacher for Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:26 PM

    Love your blog- saw your post about Sunday anxiety- agree!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw your post on FB - Sunday nights are full of anxiety for me but I just got back from shopping so it's all good :)
    Liz
    Teaching in the Valley

    ReplyDelete
  11. New follower - please feel free to follow me back at www.ageekswifeandherdog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you kidding me? LOVE it! Pinned!
    -Leslie
    TeachJunkie.com
    KindergartenWorks.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips