Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sid the Science Kid & Me

How much do I love Sid the Science Kid?  Lots and lots and lots.  He is intelligent, he is inquisitive and that fake microphone he uses is just adorable.  {clap clap clap clap clap clap...I love that!}
So why do I still feel the need to justify showing it to my class?!  Video clips of any sort make me feel slightly anxious.  I think it's because when I started teaching the only things we'd show were...well...not good.  {watching Finding Nemo to learn about ocean animals?  puh-lease.  Even my kids didn't buy that.}  But now with Discovery Education and Teacher Tube, there are such great things to use!

Still...I make a recording sheet for every Sid concept we tackle.  We watched "I want to be a Scientist" this week as we learned about what a scientist is, does and looks like.  In this 30 minute episode the kids learn about 4 kinds of scientists which we documented on our Sid recording sheet!

Click the pic to get your copy!  Is this something you're interested in?  I'll be making more for my class as we continue to explore science and I'd be happy to put them in a packet!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:21 PM

    Hey Kristin!I hope your year is going along well! I have been reading this series to my class and doing some activities that go along with them and automatically thought of you. Maybe you already know about it, but either way wanted to share! Go to http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/feature/petethecat/ (sorry, couldn't figure out how to put a link in the comments)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so thoughtful of you Kate! I'm getting ready to introduce Pete next week so that's fantastic. Thanks for the share! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! Where did you find the episode on scientists? the full episode is not on youtube...do you have it on video? I cant seem to find it on pbs kids either!

    thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You need to get a Discovery Education account. I'm not sure if they're free or if your school has to get a license? {disoveryeducation.com - try it & see} I'm not sure if EVERY Sid episode is on there but there are a bunch. I haven't looked yet but you could also check Netflix?? I hope you find him!

      Delete
  3. awesome! we do have discovery education..i dont remember them being there before! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Thanks for the freebie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips