Wednesday, September 19, 2012

you gotta take the bad with the good.

You know how getting bad news can really bum you out?  That was me today as of about mid morning.  I got some sad news about a situation that is completely out of my control and I was just bummed.  I wasn't an emotional wreck and it didn't throw me off my game, I just felt like I'd lost my sparkle.

So I threw up a quick prayer {prayer in school?! yikes!} and tried not to think about it too much.  When that didn't work, I kept trying.  Reminding myself that it's out of my hands and that God always has a plan.

No sooner did I forget about it, my kids became extremely responsive.  They were focused.  They answered questions.  I was in the zone.  Totally teaching mode.  Then something amazing happened.

I have a little girl from another country {Burma?  Nepal?  Bhutan?  We're still trying to figure that out...} and for 3 weeks we haven't really been able to communicate.  It's a little frustrating from my standpoint, knowing I can't actually get through to her to explain the whys behind not coloring on other people or not stopping to touch every piece of artwork in the hallway.  But she's making steady progress and we'd hit a lot of roadblocks so I'd kind of stopped working on figuring out the logistics and left it to the office.  This afternoon, our guidance counselor came down with an older student and said she wanted to give it a try and see if they could communicate.  By George, you should have seen. her. face!  She lit up like a rocket when someone was able to speak to her in her own language.  I almost cried.  Story bonus: I learned how to say stop, sit down, good job and thank you in a way that I KNOW she understands!  :)

{that was bright spot #1}

We finished the day and it was time for dismissal and another after-school meeting.  I had a quick snack, finally had the chance to pee {hee!} and made my way to the media center.  I got all the way there {in my 4 inch stilettos, thank you} when I realized I'd forgotten something.  So I had to go all the way back and get it.  When I got there, a lady from a nearby church was just coming up the hallway.  She had received my wishlist and was bringing every item I requested.  Brand new 3-step ladder, Dirt Devil, card stock and glue gun sticks.  Deee-livered.  Amazing!  I have never experienced this type of support - especially from a non-school source - and I really couldn't believe they'd actually gotten everything.

{bright spot #2}

All of that to say...whether you believe it's just coincidence or that God gives us glimmers of hope in our down times...
{from blackandtypeshop on etsy}
...or anything.  It's not always easy to see the good in a day, a moment or a situation.  But it's always there if we try.  Or wait long enough to understand it.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin! I love your post...I have been also going through a lot these past weeks and this reminds me how there is something good in every day :) God is great!
    Alexa
    http://bilingualscrapbook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sorry about the bad but hooray for the two great bright spots! Four inch heels! Eeek!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that was like me yesterday and again this morning. Isn't amazing how our kids can brighten our days in the simplest ways?
    Jennifer
    Darling Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic! Love the story about your little girl and the blessing from the church!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny. I was just telling God this morning (before I read this) how amazing you are and asked him (as I do every day) to bless you. ILYBM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had a tough week too! Love your picture of that quote. Keep doing what your doing, your kids obviously love you :)

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post. I love the quote. . . I just pinned ya. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ✰ Stacy

    Simpson Superstars

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, my hat goes off to kindergarten teachers. I don't know how you do it, but it's really nice to see wonderful teachers out there. Have fun doing the shaving cream leaves next week.
    Kelly at Little Wonders' Days

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just read this post and needed it today. It is so true that God sends us exactly what we need when we need it! Thanks for brightening my afternoon!

    Joni
    KinderKids Fun

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips