Monday, March 05, 2012

Here chicky, chicky!

Attempt #2.  I got my eggs again and am ready to hatch!
After last year's debacle you probably thought I'd give up {and almost did} but I'm ready to roll again with a full-on official incubator!
In the movement of making everything better, I'm putting together an egg hatching observation journal.  Since I'm using the oh-so-talented Jessica Weible's designs, I will have to charge for it {not to worry} so I want to make sure it's something you can all use!

{here's what I have so far}
*living vs. non-living & oviparous vs. viviparous
*prediction page - what animal is in the egg?
*how to care for the eggs/chicks
*calendar to chart 21 days of growth
*candling observation page
*writing about "the birth"
*voting for a chick name graph
*writing about the chicks
*thank you letter for the person/place we received the eggs
*vocabulary page

What else do you want me to include?  What other aspects of the chicken world am I missing??  :)

I would also like to thank Jennifer at {Teaching with Grace} and Steph at {Be a Nutt With Mrs. McNutt} for the One Lovely Blog award!

I would like to continue sharing the love with these 15 ladies you should know:

Heather at {Heather's Heart}
Roxanne at {Books that Heal Kids}
Maddie at {Class Full of Crazy}
Sharon at {Teaching With Sight}
Melissa at {DillyDabbles}
Laura at {Kinder Kraziness}
Melissa at {Teaching Fashionista}

Happy Monday!  And don't forget to watch my {friend of a} friend Tony Lucca {but who's counting?!} on The Voice tonight!!  ;)  Yes...from the original Mickey Mouse Club, where he was friends with Christina!  Yeah 80's childhood!!

12 comments:

  1. Kristin...how sweet are you?- thank you for passing along the lovely award to me! Im so interested in those chicks, how stinkin' cute!! Love your blog!
    Please come back to visit & talk fashion lol! Hopefully I'll be lucky at H&M, I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Kristin! Thanks for commenting on my randomness too =) I love The Voice...I've actually been debating doing an audition (eeek!)...and I was so glad that Tony won his battle (he was one of my absolute fav's from the MMC).

    Have a great week and enjoy those cute little chicks (you are very brave).

    Laura
    Kinder Kraziness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! Auditioning?! You must be crazy good girl!! I'm just glad you're not on this season so I don't have to choose between you and a Mouseketeer! ;) I think you should do it. You have ZILLIONS of friends in blogland to vote for you!!

      Delete
  3. I am so jealous! I want to hatch baby chicks! Where did you get the materials and such? I talked to our Science specials teacher about doing this. It would be so, so much fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me put it this way: it's my 8th year teaching and only my 2nd year doing it. It has been EXTREMELY hard finding the eggs and the equipment. It wasn't until last year that I realized a friend of mine had animals on a farm who was willing to help me out. I contacted 4Hs, Tractor Supplies, etc and could never get any eggs. Our school is part of STEM this year so we bought the incubator with STEM money. I love love love it. It's SO much fun!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the award :) Super sweet! I love the chicks idea. I will have to live vicariously through you. I'm to chicken (lol) to do it myself.


    Randi @ Teach It With Class
    My TPT Store
    My Facebook Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! :)

    As for the chick journal, funny story. 1 year my thermostat got bumped on my incubator. Bumped wwwaaayyyy up. Once I noticed it, I quickly added more water and returned the heat setting to normal. . .but. . .our chick journals read something like this:
    Day 1: We have 12 eggs and 0 chicks.
    Day 2: We have 12 eggs and 0 chicks.
    Day 3: We have 12 eggs and 0 chicks.
    Day 4: We have 12 eggs and 0 chicks.
    Days 5-10: We have 12 eggs and 0 chicks.

    Sigh. I haven't attempted to hatch chicks since then, lol.

    Good luck with your chickies!!!

    Oh My Little Classity Class

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be my first year hatching. Any pointers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Make sure they are rotated twice a day and do NOT take them home to flip them over the weekend. {hence our demise from last year} Do you have official equipment? An incubator, etc? If you don't have an automatic egg turner, convince someone to buy it for you. I tried taking them home over the weekend to be sure they were flipped - because the babies can stick to the inside of the shell if they stay on one side for too long - but it was too much jostling and I'm pretty sure that's what...um...caused them not to live. {still so upsetting!!} Also keep water in it so it stays humid. I am more than happy to help you, just email me!!! :) Also, google is your friend. ;)

      Delete
  7. Kristin, thank you so much for the blog award! You are so sweet. I don't know if you have time to come over and see a video that I just added to my blog, but I would love to know what you think. Can you tell me what I need to do next for the award? By the way, the change to your site was described to me, and it sounds beautiful.

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips