Thursday, May 17, 2012

dinosaurs.

We're not actually getting into dinosaurs until next week but my sister is enormous...the size of a house...ready to deliver my nephew any day so I'm all set up and ready for next week.  Our tickets are on standby and as soon as we get the call we are headed to Chicago!  {unless we don't get the call in which case we'll fly out as scheduled on Sunday.}

I created these printables based on some ideas I read in Mailbox magazine.  For the estimation sheet you'll need to make a large dinosaur "footprint" {mine were cut from posterboard} and have the kids predict how many of their footprints would fit inside.  Have the kids take off their shoes {how much do they love that?!} to fill up the footprint and practice counting.  Then record and draw that many shoes inside the footprint.  The new dino species one is pretty self explanatory.  My kids are going to use their names {Kristinosaurus} to make up ridiculously silly facts {characteristic: covered in glitter.  activity: shopping for shoes. size 2,018}

I also love this idea I saw on Pinterest...but it was pinned wrong and it didn't link back to anything.  Luckily, Lyndsey contacted me and let me know that it was hers.  Don't you love him?!
More dinosaur stuff to come later...depending on how many days of dinosaur week I'm actually in attendance instead of listening to my sister roar!  {hardy har har}

Have a great weekend...tomorrow's Friday!!  :)

9 comments:

  1. Love it!! We just did this activity from mailbox magazine!! :)

    Jessica Stanford
    mrsstanfordsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing dinosaurs too. I love to save their favorite units for the end to help keep them interested. :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and that is why I'm passing on the One Lovely Blog Award to you!!

    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog
    My TpT Store

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin, I just went to a Dr. Jean workshop on Wednesday and she showed us the "Dinosaur Boogie". It's really cool and I think your kids would love it. There's also a really nice song by Jack Hartman called "5 Big Dinosaurs". It's more of a fingerplay. Then there's "Dinosaur Hunt" by Aaron Glassman, which is sort of like a position/marching song.

    I also have a pretty cool Dinosaur Package on TPT if you want to take a peek:

    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Dinosaur-Package

    By the way, I also LOVE all of Sophie Kinsella's books. My best friend, I swear, is just like Becky. She's a shopaholic and she can talk me into anything when we go to the mall. She's also fabulous at putting outfits together (I sort of need help because of the whole blindness thing).

    Best wishes to your sister, and congratulations!

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kristin that little Dinosaur came from me! I uploaded it directly from my phone to pinterest. I can even tell you whose name is on the back :-) Last year I used him to work on patterns in the spring as closure to my dinosaur/museum unit this year our math curriculum changed so we have been working on composing and decomposing numbers so we did addition problems with the dinosaurs. I haven't posted it on my blog but I could post the template for the addition problem for you or email it to you let me know!
    Lindsey
    http://www.whytewater.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey, I sent you an email back. If you want to email me the template I'll throw it up and link to your blog. Thanks for letting me know that it's yours...it's so cute! :)

      Delete
  6. I love, love, love your blog design!! I just found your blog & I am a new follower. I look forward to reading more of your blog. :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your dino idea! Definitely something for me to try out in my own classroom next year. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today!

    Maria
    Kinder-Craze

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips