Tuesday, May 01, 2012

creepy crawlers.

I. Love. May.  We call it {May Days} at my school and I start thinking about it around, oh, March.  Minus fall, pumpkins and apples, this is my favorite time of the year.
In case you can't tell by my advanced artistic abilities, this week is all about bugs and insects!  We started our theme by flipping through the books in our library and reading a sight word book to learn the basics.

We learned this super cute song from Teach it With Class to help us remember the parts of an insect...
then made our own diagrams.

For math we used toys bugs on our picnic mats to practice story problems
 and played a counting game where we tried to get 50 spots on the ladybug.
{We used 1 ladybug per pair and beans as spots.  You could use chocolate chips or M&Ms too.  If your  manipulatives are bigger, each child could have their own ladybug board.}
 Today we focused on bees and did a great pollination experiment from Little Kinder Warriors using cheetos as pollen!

We also made bees with wax paper wings.

We began talking about entomologists and the tools that they use so we had to practice looking at all kinds of insects up close with magnifying glasses.

As we study I'm adding to our Bug & Insect journal pages.  Check back this weekend to see what else I've come up with.

Happy May Days!!!  :)

8 comments:

  1. Lots of great ideas for an insect unit! I really like the idea of using plastic insects for story problems in math. I'll be checking back to see your Bug & Insect Journal. Thanks for sharing!!
    Connie:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie I just updated and added 2 pages for today. I'm not sure it'll be "beefy" enough for a journal so I'll just add 'em as I make 'em. ;) Thanks for reading!! :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:37 PM

    SUPER FUN insect stuff. I just love your cute blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anyway that I could get a copy of your Why do bees pollinate worksheet? I love it and would love to use with my first graders.

    THanks,
    Carie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I get a copy of your pollinate worksheet? I love it! Do you have an insect unit on TPT?


    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I get a copy of the pollination worksheet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I get a copy of the pollination worksheet? I love the idea! evanippolito88@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips