Wednesday, January 18, 2012

who knew mammals would make you giggle?

Really quick story since I actually came upstairs to go to bed but snuck into the office!  ;)

We were wrapping up our {extremely long} unit on animals today so I was having the kids tell me all they knew about the various types, writing one most important fact in their science journals and drawing a picture example.  fish?  good.  birds?  good.  mammals?  good.  Until we really got into the nitty gritty.  They knew so many details from their time in our science lab that surely they'd know the most obvious characteristic of mammals...

{I can hear you groaning...oh yes.}

So I very delicately said "And mammals are the only animals that drink milk from their mothers."  A few kids gave their neighbor funny looks so I skipped right past it and started listing examples of mammals.  Then that one kid raised her hand.  You know, the one who may as well just keep it by her side because she talks regardless of arm placement?

"MRS. YOUNG! MY MOMMA, WHEN I WAS LITTLE, MY MOM, I USED TO DRINK HER MILK FROM HER BOOBIES!"

Aaaaaaaaand the whole class was silent.  What do you say to that?  What would YOU say to that?!  I saw her red face and realized that she'd realized what she'd said.  And on to amphibians!  Bless her heart.  Way to make a connection!!  :)

{side note}

I got another email today from the blog nomination guy and while he laughed at my {nomination post}, he totally understood my skepticism AND made it clear that this is for real.  So thanks for reading and sharing your ideas with me!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! Haha I feel your pain, the units on animals/animal babies always makes me nervous! We smile, nod, and move on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, oh that was precious! Thanks for the laugh.

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed so hard over this! Hilarious! Thanks for sharing!
    Kimberly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I have had the same conversation in my room too....EVERY year!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips