Saturday, March 26, 2011

Top 10.*

I've seen linky parties going around but have yet to join one because I was either a) ineligible {no pet yet} b) embarrassed {my desk is way too messy for that one right now!} or c) I didn't find the time to link up until way after the party was posted.  Today, I am excited to participate with Rowdy in 1st Grade & Jenna from Fancy in First!

Top 10 things I've learned about TEACHING in the past 7 years:

1) I can make a crown out of anything.  In fact, I accept the challenge.  ANYTHING.

2) Worksheets can ALWAYS be extended.  {cut 'em up.  glue it on something else.  sequence.  retell.  write a sentence about each part.  make a puzzle & trade with a friend.}  Extension = rigor = more in depth learning.  Don't toss your worksheets, just give them a makeover.

3) Singing songs, moving around and taking brain breaks aren't only beneficial for 5 year olds.

4) Organization. Is. Key.  Yet, every time I get something organized and take a refreshing breath...I find something else that could use some work!

5) The to-do list is never ending.  Take a moment to freak out about it, then accept it and move on.  Your kids won't know that they didn't play this or that game or if you ran out of time to make that special themed snack.  You will always have next year to do it again.

6) Teaching kindergarten isn't a death sentence for jean jumpers with appliques or nylons, socks and tennis shoes.  Nothing helps the kids get to know your real self like personal style.  And you CAN wear stilettos to teach.  It just takes some practice.  ;)

7) For every parent that sends nasty emails, goes behind your back to administration or doesn't support the help you're trying to give their child, there are always more who love, support and appreciate you.  Try to focus on the kids and keeping them happy.  Ultimately, their academic growth and character development is all you can be responsible for.

8) It's so much easier to work late when Friends comes on TBS.

9) Never underestimate the power of girlfriends, especially those next door or down the hall.  Your husband, boyfriend, sister, mom...no matter how hard they try...will never understand the frustrations of IEPs, teacher evals, curriculum changes or how there are never enough hours in the day.  Teacher friend time will always relieve stress.  And if you add a bottle of wine or two, so be it.

10) Getting into character makes anything more fun.

And...a bonus!

11) Robert Fulghum was right.  "No matter how old you are, when you go out into the world, it's best to hold hands and stick together."

*Disclaimer: This Top 10 list is subject to change based on the day, my mood, how much wine is in the house, the weather, the number of days since since or until my next workday/workshop/day off or other completely rational reason.

4 comments:

  1. I love them all, but especially #7! So true!!
    I need YOU around when I'm feeling blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this!!! Your blog makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:56 PM

    I loved #7 - just what I needed! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments! {like virtual hugs}

Blogging tips